Aphids, white flies and other pests

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 19:33:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:33:21 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Aphids, white flies and other pests

I've been reading lately a few posts on aphids and how to combat them. I've
seen Orthene recommended more than once. Because I have cats and dogs at
home, and they've been known to drink from the water trays (especially the
cat), I'm very reluctant to use such products. However, my problem is
restricted to aphids.
I've read that submerging plants in water for a few hours or a couple of
days often does the trick. The aphids are restricted to Drosera binata at
this stage, and I've often seen this plant submerged in the wild. I could
probably stick the pots into a snap-lock bag and fill it up with water,
preventing the aphids from escaping.

Any thoughts?

Miguel de Salas

 School of Plant Science,