Insects, pesticides, and etc

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 07:53:51 PDT

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:53:51 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Insects, pesticides, and etc

Hi, Steve.

<They are barely visible as small, whitish dots, maybee the size of a pencil
point. I'm fairly certain that they are some sort of sucking insect, but not
whitefly or mealy bug. They tend to cluster on flower stalks and leaf
petioles of my sundews. They seem to leave the rest of my CP alone.>

It kinda sounds like mites to me. There are sources you can identify what
they are even on web. Probably they are not very unusual, or some thing
exotic.

<Can anyone suggest a systemic insecticide that I could use safely?>

Somebody might have expected this, but before spraying, you need to know
what they (pests) are. Some insecticides are acaricides, not all the time,
and it is critical to identify what you got. Some mites have resistance to
pesticides, too. Knowing about the pesticide you spray is important, too.
Besides, what somebody tells you might not be up-to-date information or even
correct. The info. on pesticides can change quickly, and it is best to ask
an Extension aganet in your area. That's what they are for! And if it is
mites, there's no 'systemic' acaricides (that's what I was told).

Hideka