Re: Daphnia and Utrics

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 19:23:05 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:23:05 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Daphnia and Utrics

Vitor,
    You mentioned that you feel odor may be the primary attraction. That was
part of my hypothesis (ie. shape, color, and/or odor)! Now, a lab could
isolate the secretions from the glands in the Utric traps and test them on
different species of Daphnia, Rotifera, Copepods, Amphipods, Ostracods and
insect larvae to see if there's a connection! Sounds like a great research
project! (We lowly high school Biology teachers only dream of having labs
like that!)

Laterite
    I'm not totally familiar with the chemical composition of laterite, but
my few visits to Central and South America allowed me to take note of the
different types of soils - particular nutrient-poor rainforest soils. The
southeastern U.S. is all red clay. I wonder how close this could be to
laterite. If it is close and suitable, y'all can come and dig up all you
want!!! :-)

Dan