Laterite

From: Michael Feddersen (bd670@scn.org)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 19:47:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Feddersen <bd670@scn.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Laterite

Joe,
You could probably use any kind of mix that you have. I'm not sure why
the product produced by Dupla is no longer available in the US. Trying
to find any reference to laterite as a growing media or in fact to
Nepenthes growing in it seems to be very limited until recently.
I still have not finished experimenting with laterite. I did run some
test with red clay. The iron in it was high enough but its consistancy
was not the same as laterite. Pottery clay did not behave like rust.
Nor was it magnetic. Which I don't think that has anything to do with
it but it was a simple field test when I had a sample.
Truly,
Tom Kahl/Nepenthes Club