laterite

From: Michael Feddersen (bd670@scn.org)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 11:19:46 PDT

Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 11:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Feddersen <bd670@scn.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: laterite

Angie,
Laterite is one of the soils that Nepenthes grow well in. Huge shrubs ten
feet or more across were growing in this stuff.
I also wanted a mix that does not break down over time. Reducing the need
and cost of repotting.
Root rot which shows up as the plant stops trapping for no reason then the
lower leaves yellow and shed. Eventually the plant dies. Having this occur
on some types that were hard to get I wanted a mix that reduced the chance
of this happening.
Because of the high cost of laterite I mix it with volcanic pumice which
is fairly abundant and cheap in this state.
I'll try other types of cp in it like vft and sarracenias this season.
Truly,
Tom Kahl/Nepenthes Club