CP diseases (continued)

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 21:46:30 PDT

Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:46:30 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP diseases (continued)

This is just an idea. I am not sure I am even qualified to suggest this
since I am not a memeber of ICPS at this point (I have an inetintion to be
so soon). Some plant societies support scientific studies. For example,
American Orchid Society has a research grant. They have a nice hand book on
orchid diseases and pests along with a video on this subject. Moreover, I
was a recepient for a AHS (American Hemerocallis Scoiety) fellowship for a
study on daylily diseases.

I guess this kind of study directly benefit CP growers other than some
obscure molecular study (I am not opposed to this) which do not necessarily
give anything back to a society. Considering the amount of annual due (AOS
charges $40/year now), ICPS might not have much money, but this would be
certainly they can investigate by cooperating with a univeristy diagnostic
lab. If we are still talking about diseases and insects the way we do now
("Oh, somebody told me this is this"), the confusion will continue. Even
starting to make a data base on pests along with pesticides that can be used
would be great. I am aware that information on pesticides quickly changes,
though.

Hideka