Re: Miguel, D. rotundifolia

From: bruce dudley (bdaviddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 16:52:06 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce dudley <bdaviddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Miguel, D. rotundifolia

Hi Miguel,

I took a look at your plant. My first impression is
D. rotundifolia that has not been given enough light,
hence, the leaves are greener and "stretching" out of
the moss.

I have found extraordinarly healthy D. rotunds growing
in full sun in the mountains of NC. They were
unbelievable! The leaves were very oval, RED, and
sparkling on the side of the mountain face. You could
see them against the green spaghnum moss from the
road! They were about 4" across and flattened against
the moss like they were glued there. So, I don't
believe that these plants enjoy shady places at all.

However, if you are still not satisfied, it also
resembles a cross between D. intermedia and
D.rotundifolia I once saw in another person's
collection. You might want to consult the source
of the plant. Maybe they know the parentage....
Another time I remember seeing a picture of D.
linearis and D. rotundifolia. Very similar, too.

I hate to say that the plant just doesn't look like a
species, therefore it couldn't possibly be, but, I
truly don't see any resemblence to D. capillaris.
Maybe it is just the sickest capillaris I've never
seen! I'd stick with rotundifolia as a guesstimate.

Bruce