Re: Snails and collecting rain water

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 08:11:28 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:11:28 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Snails and collecting rain water

Joe asked about using snail bait and collecting rainwater. As for the
snail bait, I've heard that you don't want to put it on the surface of
the soil in your pots or bog. But you should be able to put it in the
vicinity and kill the snails nearby.

As for collecting rainwater, I also just collect the water from the
roof. I have asphalt shingles that were replaced about 3 years ago but
it doesn't seem to cause any harm to the plants. I haven't gone to the
expense to install a rain barrel (or water butt) but just have a large
container under one of the three downspouts which I empty after a
rainstorm into a large rubber trash can with a lid (32 gallon, about
$10) that I keep in the shed. I've read on the list that it's important
to keep a lid on it to prevent algae from growing in your water. As for
storage, I plan to use it and replenish it throughout the summer. I've
also placed my bog at the bottom of another downspout, so it floods
after a good rainstorm (it's been waterlogged all week long!). If you
have a small collection, though, you could probably just store some
water in empty milk jugs.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah