Re: sphagnum cultivation...

From: Prem Subrahmanyam (prems@noblestar.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 21:41:17 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:41:17 -0400
From: Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: sphagnum cultivation...

At 09:14 PM 5/11/2000 -0700, Robertivore wrote:

> Does anyone here have experiance in cultivating live Sphagnum? I
>want to grow some Sphagnum moss with my Neps, but I'm not sure If they can
>survive in hot climates. I live in Texas between zones 7-8. I keep my
>Neps. pretty wet during the summer which lasts about 7-9 months here. If
>kept constantly moist like I do with my Neps, would Sphagnum survive and
>grow under these conditions, or do they need cooler temps. I can't find
>any books or articles on this, but I have seen pics of lowland Neps
>growing with live Sphagnum.

For what it's worth, sphagnum grows wild here in northern FL, where the temps
regularly get into the mid-upper 90's in summer. The bog areas probably
stay a little cooler, but I would imagine a wet Nep pot would have the same
effect.

--> Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net> or <prems@nettally.com>
- Animator, programmer, and orchid and fossil nut extraordinaire...
- DNRC Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness
- Home - http://www.PremDesign.com

"We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became nothing to show we were wrong."
"God's Own Fool" - Michael Card