Sphagnum Cultivation

From: z_simkunasra@titan.sfasu.edu
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 12:32:15 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 14:32:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: z_simkunasra@titan.sfasu.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sphagnum Cultivation

      Does anyone here have experiance in cultivating live Sphagnum? I
want to grow some Sphagnum moss with my Neps, but I'm not sure If they can
survive in hot climates. I live in Texas between zones 7-8. I keep my
Neps. pretty wet during the summer which lasts about 7-9 months here. If
kept constantly moist like I do with my Neps, would Sphagnum survive and
grow under these conditions, or do they need cooler temps. I can't find
any books or articles on this, but I have seen pics of lowland Neps
growing with live Sphagnum.

Robertivore