Re: Oh Joy! (pygmy _Drosera_)

From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda (vmiranda@rc.unesp.br)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 07:10:51 PDT

Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 11:10:51 -0300
From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda <vmiranda@rc.unesp.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Oh Joy! (pygmy _Drosera_)

>Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 09:40:38 -0600
>From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
>Subject: Re: pygmy drosera (was: Oh Joy!)

>>How do I get Pygmea Drosera seed to germinate; do I
>>plant immeadiately, how long to germinate, all the info
>>you can give? I here they are real difficult to grow from
>>seed.

>I've heard that pygmies rarely produce seed in cultivation, I think
>that's what "Savage Garden" says (the book, not the band). If my
memory
>is right, Peter says they need plants of different genetic makeup (or
>something like that) to be able to cross pollinate, and most plants in
>cultivation all come from pretty much the same source. By that logic I

>guess you could produce hybrids. But the easiest way to propagate your

>plants is by the tons of gemmae they'll produce next
>November-December-January.

>John Green
>Salt Lake City, Utah

Hi Robertivore, Hi John,

I\264ve got some success germinating pygmy _Drosera_. Usually these species
do not produce so much seeds, but you can facilitate with cross
pollination. I don\264t agree the need of producing hybrids, probably
different specimens of the same species bring enough genetic differences
to be able to produce viable seeds.
To germinate, just pick the seeds and sow them on peat moss. This way
has worked to me. Ok?

Good growing,

Vitor.

---------
Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda
Botanical Department - Sao Paulo State University
Rio Claro, SP - Brazil
---------