Re: reply to pitcher plant inbreeding question

From: PHILIP SHERIDAN (psher001@odu.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 18:51:46 PDT

Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 21:51:46 -0400
From: "PHILIP SHERIDAN" <psher001@odu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: reply to pitcher plant inbreeding question

Dear Phil-san,

Konnichiwa!

 I am very interested in your posting. Probably, your interest and mine
 may be
different. I am VERY interested in 'heterosis breeding'. It is not a
scientific purpose and is an aesthetic selection. It does not mean like
S.x catesbaei etc.. If your study relates to 'inbreeding degeneration
(depression)'or 'heterozygote superiority'. I would like to know the
details of your study.

The best answer is to wait until the paper comes out in American Journal
of Botany for full story. In short we did find evidence of heterosis,
or hybrid vigor, by crossing different clones and a high level of
inbreeding depression on selfing S. flava.

I want to establish some pure lines of S.flava and
S.leucophylla.

Bad idea except by vegetative propagation. As I discussed in my
inefficient since there is a 92% selection coefficient against selfing
in S. flava. In other words you get less seed, lower germination, lower
survivorship and slower growth when self-pollinating S. flava. Please
remember that this is ON AVERAGE. A particular plant may have a low
genetic load (only a few deleterious alleles) and you may end up with
satisfactory results. However, in general, self-pollination is unlikely
to yield comparable results to outcrossing in S. flava.

I expect of 'heterosis' between one pure line
of S.flava x another pure line of S.flava.

Yes. If you cross two different lines you stand an excellent chance of seeing
hybrid vigor or heterosis. In light of our experimental results this is what I
would suggest.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

It will need many years almost like the lifework though.

Kind regards
Isao