Re: pygmy drosera (was: Oh Joy!)

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 08:40:38 PDT

Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 09:40:38 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: pygmy drosera (was: Oh Joy!)

>How do I get Pygmea Drosera seed to germinate; do I
>plant immeadiately, how long to germinate, all the info
>you can give? I here they are real difficult to grow from
>seed.

I've heard that pygmies rarely produce seed in cultivation, I think
that's what "Savage Garden" says (the book, not the band). If my memory
is right, Peter says they need plants of different genetic makeup (or
something like that) to be able to cross pollinate, and most plants in
cultivation all come from pretty much the same source. By that logic I
guess you could produce hybrids. But the easiest way to propagate your
plants is by the tons of gemmae they'll produce next
November-December-January.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah