Sarracenia growth defects

From: Aaron Carlson (aaronc@tranquility.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 18:28:49 PDT

Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:28:49 -0500
From: "Aaron Carlson" <aaronc@tranquility.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia growth defects

I have around 18 mixed Sarr's. About 1/2 of them are experiencing
some kind of growth defect that they did not exhibit last year.
They are all currently sending up their first crop of pitchers for
the year (I am in MO, USA, btw). The growth defect I am witnessing
is in the still-developing shoots. In all cases, the part of the
shoot that becomes the lid is either twisted or laterally concaved.
In the extreme, I have a xJudith Hindle in which the still
developing lids are at a 90-degree angle to where they should be.
Other than that, everything else seems normal. As I said, it's only
occurring in approx. 1/2 of them. Their coloration seems normal.
I find an occasional aphid (they grow outdoors), but they instantly
become a meal for the nearest sundew. No other insects are seen,
other than collembola in the peat. The pitchers haven't gotten to
the "opening" point yet, so it remains to be seen if it will carry
over at that time. The only thing my limited knowledge tells me is
that it could possibly b e a virus. Any one here have any idea what
could be going on? Thanks to any and all information. ------Aaron
Carlson

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]