Re: Poor Fernando

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 04:28:48 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 04:28:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Poor Fernando

Howdy group

Perhaps I have missed something in this string on
human destruction of the world ecology, but what is
the reference to Fernando all about??? If I needed to
use an example such as this perhaps I would have
started the conversation with:

"If I (myself, instead of someone else) were to go to
a place and find a sick, dying, or injured
'whatever' this is what I would do...."

Of course, I say this only because I don't want to see
someone slandered here!!!!! Fernando has done so much
to help us understand, and appreciate, the ecologies
of the distant tepues in South America. I, for one,
would trust his judgement in this instance; if he were
truly guided to save the genetic make of this ONE
plant by removing it I wouldn't crucify him for doing
so. I think that the worst thing for us to do is to
"save" a species for our own financial benefit.
Saving ONE plant to share with the world is a dead
topic. Mass harvesting, thereby wiping out the
species, is the crime we see so often these days.

BTW: I loved the BIODIVERSITY report in the NGM
Volume 195, no. 2 February 1999. It is a laymen's
discussion of the 6th mass extinction we see in
progress. Check it out. It discusses (not proves)
human involvement very clearly.

Again, if Fernando agreed to see his name discussed
here, then, I'm sorry to intrude. I would hate to see
the 'worst' thing happen!! (As of late, a very
imaginable happenstance)

:-)
Bruce

http://im.yahoo.com/