Biogeography of Drosera and Pinguicula

From: Daniel Murphy (d.murphy@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 20:00:51 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:00:51 +1000
From: Daniel Murphy <d.murphy@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Biogeography of Drosera and Pinguicula

Dear Jan,

I know this is not really the focus of the current thread on conservation
of cp's but it raised an issue which I find very interesting, and which is
rarely discussed, namely, the biogeography of cp's.

 The subsequent raising of the Alpidic
>system, a mountain range of tremendous extension (perhaps with the
>highest peaks that ever existed on this planet), during the Tertiary
>and the Pleistocene glaciations did likewise extinguish myriads of
>species (almost the whole indigenous, south hemisphere flora of India
>got lost, all the once native tropical elements have vanished from
>Europe), while at the same time they created the homes and paved
>the way for many new ones (e.g. most of the Old World species and
>all of the South American species of_Pinguicula_, _Drosera_ came to
>visit us from America recently, and decided to stay here until
>today).

I was wondering what is the evidence for dispersal of Drosera or Pinguicula
from America into the Old World or South America (if I have interpreted
your post correctly)?

Cheers,
Dan Murphy