Genome Preservation

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:35:51 PDT

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:35:51 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Genome Preservation

Hi all CPers,

We have been discussing wild collecting, diversity, and preservation of
our precious CP. Filippo asks a good question below and perhaps Phil
knows the answer. I too wonder about one specific point. Can anyone
varify this?

Philip Sheridan wrote:
>If it wasn't for Bill Scholl and I starting out as CP'ers and
>taking an active interest in pitcher plants we would already have lost
several
>of our native pitcher plant populations in Virginia. In fact, two of the
native
>S. flava sites have been destroyed but we have maintained labelled
material in
>beds. Due to the small size of the populations we were able to capture
the
>entire genome for these sites (divisions were obtained with landowner
>permission). These and extant site material are being returned to the
wild
>under our non-profit organization (www.pitcherplant.org) in a very
organized and
>planned manner.

Ivan again,
I have raised Darlingtonia up from wild collected seed an eventually
would like to
have my cultivated plant produce seed. One thing worries me. I have read
that
Darlingtonia and Sarracenia are best outcrossed and not self pollinated
since if
they are selfed, weaker offspring may be produced. Vegetable breeders
know the
effect as "inbreeding depression". Corn is an example of a plant that
suffers from
inbreeding. If this is true with our pitcher plants, then of course it is
very important
to preserve as much germplasm as possible. I read that Barry Meyers-Rice,
in
his article on Darlingtonia 'Othello' believed that pitchers plants
should be out
crossed. Can someone elaborate on this point for us?

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California