mosquito

From: 8357737 (DMERRITT@pbserver.paulbunyan.net)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 12:12:18 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:12:18 -0500
From: 8357737 <DMERRITT@pbserver.paulbunyan.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: mosquito

Hi, According to _Aquatic Entomology_ by W. Patrick McCafferty,
page 370: "...A few Mosquitoes, flesh flies, and midges are
specialized for living as larvae in the aqueous environment of the
pitcher plant cup. Unlike other insects, they are not affected by
the digestive enzymes... in North America, such habitats are
associated primarily with pitcher plants, and the bromeliads of
Florida. Mosquitoes are the primary aquatic residents of bromeliad
plant cups." I believe the mosquito in question is of the genus
_Wyeomyia_, family Culicidae. The larvae will not hurt the plants,
they will grow in to mosquitoes, many of which, I am sure, would
like to bite you. Bye, Anita

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]