Re: CP Database

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 04:04:47 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:04:47 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP Database

Dear Richard,

> Could anyone explain to me what the abbreviation LFR means
> in the CP database? For example, under Genlisea aurea LFR:
> 124. 126, 127 is listed.

Location data are provided in two different formats in the database.
The first entry "L:" lists the countries in which the respective
species (or other taxon) has been recorded. Political (county)
boundaries do have the disatvantage that they tend to be unstable,
the areas are of very different sizes, and large countries are
frequently composed of excessively different areas as far as climate,
soil, and vegetation are concerned. Therefore, a second category
"LFR:" is used to list the floristic regions and provinces in which
the taxon grows. These units are defined by their vegetation, not by
the language and monetary unit used by the people living there. The
meaning of the numbers is explained in the legend of the database.

124, 126, and 127 mean Central Brazilian Upland, Atlantic Brazilian,
and Parana Provinces, respectively, all belonging to the Brazilian
Region.

A general overwiew of global cp diversity will be published in one of
the coming issues of CPN, in which the numbers of cp taxa in each
floristic province will be listed.

Kind regards
Jan