Re:Butterworts turning white

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 05:31:24 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:31:24 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Butterworts turning white

Amy,
You have simply exposed the butterworts to too much sun and heat
suddenly: all plants need to adjust to sunnier conditions gradually. The
light inside, even in a sunny window, is distinctly less intense than that
of sun outside or in a greenhouse. Think about being inside all winter,
and we put you out on the beach for the first time in the summer, with
no sun screen, and we leave you there all day. You turn bright red,
right? A plant burns just as easily and therefore needs to gradually
acclimate to its new conditions (like us getting a gradual suntan). So
move your butterworts under a bench temporarily, and gradually
introduce them to more sunshine. Same goes for any houseplant inside
for the winter... even if it's a sun lover, it must start outside in quite a
bit of shade, gradually moving to full sun.
Good luck,
susan
> Just the other day I moved all my pings from inside
> outside to the greenhouse. Today I notice that they
> are turning white! It's as if all the green is just
> draining out of them! What could this mean?

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis MO 63166-0299