Re: Digging endangered pitcher plants

From: PHILIP SHERIDAN (psher001@odu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 06:00:02 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:00:02 -0400
From: "PHILIP SHERIDAN" <psher001@odu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Digging endangered pitcher plants

Hi Folks:

I was recently horrified to receive the following message from Cecil
Frost of the North Carolina Plant Protection Program. Who possibly
could be digging federally endangered pitcher plant species in this day
and age? This is reprehensible behavior!! Our endangered pitcher plant
species are generally small populations and as you can see the digger
decided to take the whole site. Greed is not good. If you know who is
responsible for this please report them to the Feds!!

"Phil,

The potential habitat for S. jonesii has been pretty well scoured over the
past 10 years and we had about given up up on any new populations, but a
new site was discovered in SC and then shortly after that all of the plants
were taken. Some of them were started from seed from that population
though so the genetic diversity hasn't been lost."