Re: Newbie question

From: Prem Subrahmanyam (prems@noblestar.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 14:48:59 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:48:59 -0400
From: Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Newbie question

At 03:55 AM 4/14/2000 -0700, Michel van Breugel wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm quit new in growing CP's, I am growing them for 2 years now, but since half
>a year more fanatic (if that's the way to describe it).
>
>I have a question concerning my pictherplants.... since about 4-5 months the
>leafs don't open anymore, they stay closed...and flat.
>I also discovered some mealybugs... I use a non systematic insecticide for 3
>weeks now. and the mealybugs seem to dissapear slowly (I toolk them of with a
>paper towel as well). Can I just cut the leafs of at there growingpoints, and
>will they start growing again? Or is there some other way of making the
pitchers
>look the way they used to do?

Hi Michel,
   I've had Sarracenia do this before...it's usually the sign of a stressed
plant (either stressed from not going into dormancy, stressed from not
enough light, or stressed from not enough moisture). Sometimes, even when
the plant is healthy, it will put up non-pitchering leaves. I would
certainly not cut the leaves off, as they still contribute to the health of
the plant since they're capable of photosynthesizing. Just keep growing
the plant in its ideal cultural conditions and you'll eventually get nice
pitchered leaves.

--> Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net> or <prems@nettally.com>
- Animator, programmer, and orchid and fossil nut extraordinaire...
- DNRC Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness
- Home - http://www.PremDesign.com

"We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became nothing to show we were wrong."
"God's Own Fool" - Michael Card