Re: CP cultivars

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 05:25:27 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:25:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP cultivars

Jan,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I now think I understand the difference
between the orchid naming system and the ICNCP cultivar system. I can
see the advantage of being able to name cultivars that have unknown
parentage; orchids with unknown parentage are generally worthless, no
matter how attractive. Presumably the orchid system, which
emphasizes geneology, developed to serve the requirements of
hybridizers. The cultivar system would seem to have some limitations in
groups that are extensively hybridized (as Nepenthes and Sarracenia are
starting to be).

cheers,
      Nick
Nicholas Plummer