CITES update to Byblis and Cephalotus

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 03:17:18 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:17:18 +0100
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CITES update to Byblis and Cephalotus

Madeleine Groves reports that "CITES Committee I session (sitting now in
Nairobi) on amendments to the proposals have reviewed some CP species.
As a result, both Byblis and Cephalotus have just been deleted from the
Appendices with no real objections from any Parties or observers. Some
concern that the new species of Byblis would encourage future trade, but
nothing else."

So, guess it's up to us to make sure that "future trade" is of plants
and seed souced from cultivated plants and not wild plants. Obviously
some plants/seed need to be sourced froim wiuld populations to check
identity, expand variation in cultivation, etc. But I see no work being
done to define what is/is not accepotable to CP societies - who have the
clout to control by refereencing who is / is not declaring themselves to
be acting responsibly (both commercial and private CP'ers).

Oh goody - scope from another argument from those who like control only
if it doesn't affect them personally!!!

Chau

Paul