Re: carnivorous orchids...

From: Prem Subrahmanyam (prems@noblestar.net)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 14:47:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:47:28 -0400
From: Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: carnivorous orchids...

At 03:33 AM 4/11/2000 -0700, Hideka Kobayashi wrote:

>I don't believe Schomburgkia tibinicus is carnivorous. I simply 'don't.' I
>am going to get info. on this, but I am very doubtful. Species in a related
>genus (Myrmecophylla--I am sure I misspelled) have symbiotic relationship
>with ants. They are quite often treated as Schomburgkia. They sure have
>unique features, it is hard for me to believe it is 'carnivorous.'

Schomburgkia tibicinis (aka Myrmecophylla tibicinis) is NOT carnivorous.
The insides of the pseudobulbs are hollow to encourage ants to take up
residence inside. And in the wild, they do just that. Anyone trying
to "collect" one of these beauties will soon learn of this orchid's
relationship to its symbiotic ants. Several members of the Gongorinae
(Stanhopea, Gongora, Coryanthes) are often found growing in ants' nests...
it is presumed that the high nitrogen content found in the ants' nests
give the plant extra nutrients that would not be found elsewhere (as a
result, these plants when cultivated require lots of fertilizer and
are among the faster growing orchids). When in flower, these plants will
ooze sweet sap from the bases of the flowers, which presumably rewards the
ants that are their hosts.

--> Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net> or <prems@nettally.com>
- Animator, programmer, and orchid and fossil nut extraordinaire...
- DNRC Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness
- Home - http://www.PremDesign.com

"We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became nothing to show we were wrong."
"God's Own Fool" - Michael Card