Re: Seed banks

From: Malouf, Perry (Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 11:28:33 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:28:33 -0400
From: "Malouf, Perry" <Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seed banks

I don't know if my first attempt at answering the original
posting made it through, so this is my second attempt.

David wrote about Nepenthes cultivation in Malaysia, and also
expanding his collection by obtaining seeds. First of all, David,
thanks for coming out of "lurkdom" and joining the discussions.

> Currently, I am thinking of buying seeds over the Internet.
> Ironically, I probably would have to purchase some Malaysian varieties
> from overseas!
> Has anyone in this mailing list bought seeds on-line from carnivorous
> plant societies or private nurseries?

Why seeds, David? It takes a long time to grow a satisfying
Nepenthes from seed. With wild-collected seed, you can never
be sure if the progeny are pure or hybrids until they get large
enough to identify (could take a couple of years). Some seed banks
offer Nepenthes seed that has been obtained under controlled
conditions in cultivation. My luck with such seed has varied.
Sometimes they grow very well, other times they don't.

If you want to expand your collection, why not obtain established
plants from a close-by enterprise such as Malesiana Tropicals in
Sarawak? From KL you could take a weekend jaunt over there,
select the plants you want by examining the stock, and then bring
them home. I wish I had that kind of option. :-)

> One would have to be somewhat of an Indiana
> Jones to be able to collect the complete set of Malaysian Neps.

I went through an experience like that when I visited Mesilau at Mt.
Kinabalu and climbed up some deer trails to take pictures. Very
tiring but a very memorable experience that I wish I could repeat.

> Obviously, the Malaysian Nep. grower has a home grown advantage in
> terms of climate - rain, temperature, light & humidity is naturally
> well taken care of.

Yes, this is most enviable to someone such as myself, who lives
in a place with cold winters. I have friends in Malaysia who propagate
Nepenthes by taking cuttings and just sticking the cut end of the
vine into the earth near the mother plant. And the things grow! One
friend had a problem in this regard--his chickens kept getting into
the cuttings and scratching them out of the earth. Sheesh! I have
to worry about temperature, humidity, light, clean water, and potting
media to get my cuttings to grow. I don't have the chicken problem. :-)

> ...Neps. are....seldom in demand by the Malaysian
> public, therefore are rarely stocked in nurseries....

Why do you think this is so? Do Malays cultivate orchids more often?
Or are they attracted to non-native plants that seem more exotic, like
tulips which require a cold winter? To me, who lives in a non-tropical
area,
Nepenthes seem very exotic. Perhaps the Malays consider as exotic
those plants that grow naturally here? Can I interest you in some
dandelions? They have pretty yellow flowers that change to white.... :-)

Another Malay friend did find some large and healthy Nepenthes at
a garden shop in KL, but he had to look very hard to find that shop.

Good luck in your Nepenthes pursuits,

Perry Malouf
(Washington, DC)