Re: Native Mosses

From: RonsNewID@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:48:48 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:48:48 EDT
From: RonsNewID@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Native Mosses

I had a S. leucophylla a few years ago whose crown was covered with moss
and it rotted and died. I believe that the moss indirectly caused the
problem in that I kept the water level very high and the moss hid that
fact from me. The crown was covered with soaking wet moss most of the
time, even in the winter when I allowed the water level to drop. Ron
Sbragia

>>I'm new to the list; been lurking for a few weeks...but am unlurking
 as I would be very interested in knowing whether native moss is
 harmful. Have two Sarracenia growing in pots. One pots surface is
 totally covered with moss. The Sarracenia seems happy - is producing
 3 flowers where it had only 1 last year. But, if the moss is
 harmful, I will remove it forthwith!<<