Mosses and CP

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 05:17:01 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:17:01 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mosses and CP

Hello, Steven Stewart here,
It depends on which CP you are growing whether mosses can be used or not. It
also is important to get to know what moss you have. I have found several
small species of living Sphagnum to be asthetically pleasing to look at, as
well as keeping splashing media from getting on the plants. Polytrichum is a
good combination with adult Sarracenia and large Nepenthes. It is always
important to weed out invasive fast growing mosses, liverworts, and
Selaginella, or you will quickly find how delicate small CP can be! IMHO
most people loose CP to moss simply by not compacting it around the plants
as it would be in a disturbed site in the wild. If weedy moss like "Woodsy
mnium" Mnium sp. or "Java moss" ? sp. are let to spread, they will quickly
overcrown your plants and smother them.
Take care
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl
I have read vague references that native North American mosses may
>be
>> harmful to CPs. They would conceal the edges of outdoor bog
>containers
>> very well. I am growing Sarracenia, Cobra and Drosera outside in
>zone
>> 7.
Wayne Morrow