re: Ibicella lutea in San Diego

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 11:52:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 11:52:29 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Ibicella lutea in San Diego

Hi Jeff and all,

>Can anybody advise me if I could grow CP in the nice weather(frost free)
San
>Diego, it's pretty dry in evening but the night raise the humidity
about
>70%. And did anyone here knew the source of Drosophyllum Lusitanicum? By
the
>way, did anyone know is it easier to germinate Ibecella Lutea indoor or
>outdoor?
>Thanks
>Jeff

You live not far south of me and the conditions are the same here. I have
grown Ibicella and Drosophylum both indoors and out in pots. Now is the
time for planting, the soil must be warm for the seed to sprout. I got
Ibicella to germinate only with GA3 Giberelic Acid, the same way as in
Byblis gigantea. Barry Meyers-Rice wrote that some strains of Ibicella
germinate more easily. This plant did well in a pot for me, use a big
one. The domesticated Devil's Claws are easier to germinate. This year I
planted the seed directly in the ground in my outdoor vegetable garden.
They sprouted and seem to be growing well as I expected since the species
Proboscidea parviflora is native to nearby counties. If your Ibicella
seed does not germinate you might try some of the domesticated Devil's
Claws from the NSS catalog. The white seeded kinds sprout easily and
quickly. I planted P. parviflora var. hohokamiana, cultivation variety
*'Paiute', from the Shivwits Paiute Reservation in southwest Utah. This
is suitable for growing at both high and low elevation. Two other white
seeded you might try are the Tohono O'odham domesticate *'I:hug' having
extremely long claws or *'Domesticated Multiclawed'. *Please note that
these are not registered cultivar names. Here is web address for NSS
again in case you missed my posting the other day.
http://www.azstarnet.com

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California