Re: about Aldrovanda seeds on germination

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 20:39:15 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:39:15 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: about Aldrovanda seeds on germination

Dear Vitor,

    I would not use this type of water. Start with pure water, yes, but you
need to soak some peatmoss in the water. This will add some nutrient plus
make the water acidic. Pure water has nothing in it so nothing can grow....
You could take some panty hose and use them like a tea bag but with peat
moss instead. I don't know long you need soak them, but at normal temps a
week should do the job. Maybe squeezing will speed things up.

Dave Evans

> 2 seedlings had died and the third is going to the same way. The fourth
one is my last seedling! I have >maintened them on around 15-30 degrees
Celsius, in distilled water. Ph is 7.