Re: Introducing CP into wild

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 06:41:18 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:41:18 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Introducing CP into wild

Hello, Steven Stewart here,
I thought I would ask a theoretical question for Barry and members of the
list. In many of the states of the US there is an active effort to introduce
native "wildflowers" to the Highway ditches and shoulders. Texas is one of
the strongest examples, because of "Ladybird" Johnson's efforts. National
Geographic did a special on this subject a few years back. Would adding CP
to this effort be environmental havoc, or beneficial to the biological
diversity of the disturbed roadside environment. I do not mean introducing
invasive exotics, but for instance would an effort to plant vft's into
favorable environments along North Carolina Highway's or Drosera trayci
along Florida Highway's be misguided? Or is the whole concept misguided. I'm
afraid Highway's are a part of life in this shrinking world, I'm just trying
to find places for cp and other rare plants and animals to survive.
Take Care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl