transplants

From: Richard Jobson (r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 20:05:49 PST

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:05:49 +1000
From: "Richard Jobson" <r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: transplants

Hey Davion,
I realise your joking about the transplants, but we should realise
that this will always cause problems and I have personally
witnessed this at Flatrock in the Royal Nat. Park south of Sydney
(Australia) where Drosera capensis (an invasive African) was
growing in dispersed colonies along the banks of the creek
downstream from the road for about 500 meters. (if the perpetrator
is on the list, your transplant was a success). Its unlikley that all
was removed and this raises the question of how this species will
affect the other Drosera, Utrics and other plants in that habitat, two
Utric of which are restricted to this area and one or two other areas
further north. I also heard some crazy stories (disasters) about
Sarracenia transplants, while in the US. Maybe we should think
twice before attempting such things.
Rev. Rich.