Re: Phytosanitary Cert.

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 07:43:57 PST

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 16:43:57 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Phytosanitary Cert.

Joe,

>I called the US Customs office today, and I was trying to find out
>the paperwork/permits needed to get a Phytosanitary Certificate.
>The person over the phone said the only paperwork required was that
>if the plants were on some sort of import regulation list, and told
>me flat out I didn't need anything.
>
>Well, I know the type of people everyone is hiring today, since
>labor is tight...and I think I got bad advice. Problem is, I called
>back a few days later and I got the same guy...
>
>Can someone please clarify this, since 'ignorance of the law' isn't
>a good defense if I get in trouble --EVEN if the ignorance was on
>their part.

Sounds like bad advice to me. I live in the UK and have only ever
brought plants in from the States, never exported but as far as I know
the situation is that any plant material needs a phytosanitary
certificate from the exporting country. The only exception AFAIK is for
seeds and sterile material sent in-vitro. In addition you may need a
CITES permit if the plants concerned are listed in the current CITES
appendix. At present this covers all Sarracenia species and sub-species,
all Nepenthes, Cephalotus. There may be other species of CP covered but
I don't have the appendix in front of me so I can't be sure. In addition
several Nepenthes species and a couple of Sarracenias are listed under
CITES appendix 1 meaning that trade is highly restricted.

If applicable you will need two CITES permits. An export permit from the
country exporting the plants and an import permit from the USDA. Both
copies of the permit need to travel with the plant. You may also need to
obtain the import permit before the exporter can apply for their export
permit.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk