One thing NOT to do with Nepenthes

From: Strata, Inc. (strata@flash.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 12:27:15 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:27:15 -0600
From: "Strata, Inc." <strata@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: One thing NOT to do with Nepenthes

Since I keep my few Nepenthes in the house hanging from the ceiling next to
a window, they do not have many opportunities to snack on bugs. So I feed
them, mostly small bugs like male mosquitos (the big ones) and
rolly-pollies. Well, last week I stepped on a cockroach and half-killed it
(apologies to the cockroach-rights activists) and dropped it in a big
pitcher of a N. Coccinea.
The body decomposed and stank the whole room; I had to cut the pitcher off
and toss it! Don't feed your Nepenthes large prey!...

Michael Pagoulatos