Re: R: Strange Drosera disease

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 11:28:09 PST

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:28:09 +0200
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: R: Strange Drosera disease

Hi John,

thanks for your reply.
Today I've examined under a microscope some leaves of D. callistos, D.
peltata and D. stolonifera and I've found no filaments.
The tentacles curl in the same manner as those of the plant in your picture,
but to a greater extent and in some plants all the tentacles of all the
leaves are curled. A very sad sight!
The tentacles are shrivelled and their tip is dry.
With the microscope I've noted a few small objects attached to some of them:
they are whitish and when they are fully developed they resemble a pair of
not completely opened mushrooms.
On the other side, I've noted no animals (mites or anything else) so I
assume it is a fungal illness.
Identifying a fungus seems to be very hard, so I assume I should try many
fungicides hoping I'll find one which works.
I fear tuberous and especially pigmy sundews can't survive after loosing all
their leaves, so I'll use sulfur just as a last chance.

Regards

Filippo

Filippo Tassara wrote:
>>I've recently noted on some sundew leaves a strange illness: in a few days
all >>the tentacles of all the leaves (young and old) of some plants curl
completely >>towards the center of the leaf, not in the normal way, but
forming a >>semi-circle.
>>This happened on D. peltata, D. cistiflora, D. glabripes, D. stolonifera,
D. >>menziesii and D. callistos.
>>The leaves didn't catch any prey and I didn't spray anything over them.
>>I've examined them under a microscope because I suspected small parasites
could >>be involved, but I found none.