RE: Disappointed (+ TV show)

From: Tom Massey (massey@fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 08:02:54 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:02:54 -0500
From: Tom Massey <massey@fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Disappointed (+ TV show)

David:

I failed to reply only because my information is largely personal
observation of a rather limited sort. As far as male/female ratios go, I
think the current idea is that 60-80% of the plants around in cultivation
seem to be male. I haven't heard if this distribution occurs in the wild
at the same rate.

As for maturation of the seed pods, I am sure that as with everything else,
"it depends". For something a little more concrete, it seems to me that my
Neps tend to bloom in the summer and continue fairly late into the year.
 The seed pods seem to take quite a while to mature. As a matter of fact,
two days ago I just pulled some pods from a N. raff. that was pollinated in
the fall. These had been left on until they began to dry and split.

I have a N. mirabillis that has seed pods of just about the same age that
are still green. I keep thinking that they will begin to dry out shortly.

Tom in Fl.

On Tuesday, March 28, 2000 7:53 AM, David P Banks [SMTP:dpbanks@ozemail.
com.au] wrote:
> I must admit to being a touch disappointed about the complete lack of
> replies on the list regarding my two recent postings on Nepenthes.
Nothing
> at all was posted on the digest - yet I see all this irrelevent crap and
> name-calling. I received only one private reply (Thanks Rob!) yet I
thought
> these might be topics of interest.
>
> The first was on the ratios of males to females in Nepenthes species (and
> hybrids for that matter).
>
> The second was on the seed maturation times on Nepenthes species.
>
> Surely these topics (on carnivorous plants after all) should be of more
> interest than point scoring public battles.
>
> Onto another more pleasant subject.
>
> For Australian readers, I taped a segment on Nepenthes for the new
Channel 7