dividing S. purpurea rhizome

From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu (hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 13:05:42 PST

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:05:42 -0800 (PST)
From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: dividing S. purpurea rhizome

I noticed a few new growing points on my S. purpurea, and
would like to divide the rhizome. However, it came out of
dormancy a little faster than I expected, so there are
a few little shoots that are maybe 0.5 to 0.75 inches
tall. I remember reading that it's better to divide the
rhizome before new growth has started.

So I'm a bit concerned about cutting up the rhizome at
this point. I'd like to hear from CPers who've done this
after new growth has started (somewhat), what
precautions to take, what procedures seem to work, etc.
Thanks!

Bill