Re:Highland Nepenthes

From: Trent Meeks (flaneps@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 09:50:48 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:50:48 PST
From: "Trent Meeks" <flaneps@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Highland Nepenthes

>Hey everyone...I was just wondering what's the Hottest temperature
>you grow your Highland Nep's at? I was talking to someone in
>Florida who says his greenhouse actually gets up to 100F...which
>some books say is too hot for them.

The key factor I've noticed, as a Nepenthes grower in Florida, is to provide
the highlanders with a day/night temperature difference. Also, altitude of
the species is a factor. I have a N. alata from Luzon which produces large
showy pitchers during spring and fall when nights are cooler, but tolerates
summer heat as well, putting on a good growth and slightly smaller pitchers
in July-Sept. I was informed that it was collected at about a 3500 foot
elevation. Others, such as N. carunculata, have failed miserably.

>I thought 80F was the highest you want to go...but if they can
>tolerate up to 100, I think I can grow them outside here in San
>Antonio, Texas.

If I recall correctly, the summer humidity in San Antonio gets fairly low. A
small greenhouse with evaporative pads and fans would allow most highlanders
and lowlanders to grow together. 100 degrees F and humidity lower than 50
percent will kill just about any Nepenthes in a fairly short time.

Hope this is helpful.
Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida