Re: Registration of hybrids (actually: of names of hybrids)

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 09:05:59 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:05:59 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Registration of hybrids (actually: of names of hybrids)

Dear Hendrik,

> I've made a Sarracenia-hybrid last year, but I don't know how I can
> registrate it.

If it is a special plant (i.e. at least you are convinced it has
added value for the horticultural trade), you can select a plant as a
cultivar. Cultivars do not need to be hybrids, but they can of course
be such.

What you have to do for the registration of a cultivar name is fairly
simple (see also
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cultivarsmain.html):

1. Write a description highlighting all distinguishing features of your
new cultivar (i.e. distinguishing it from all previously described
cultivars).

2. Coin a name for the cultivar according to the ICNCP (International
Code for the Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants). Generally, a name in
a modern language will do (if it will not, I will tell you as soon
as you try to register it).

3. Take a high quality colour photograph (a so-called standard) of the
new cultivar that shows the distinguishing features.

4. Publish the description so it becomes available to botanists and
horticulturists.

5. Submit the description and the standard to the ICPS, the
International Registration Authority for names of cultivated
carnivorous plants. Include either a reprint of the publication (see
4.) or submit the description (if not published yet) for publication
in CPN (the Journal of the ICPS).

> Does a list of all registrated cp-hybrids exist? If so, how can I
> consult it?

see:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home
This includes the International Register of Cultivated Carnivorous
Plants.

Kind regards
Jan