Re: Squirrels -- The most evil of all vermin!

From: Michael Hunt (MPHCJ5@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 10:52:18 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:52:18 -0500
From: "Michael Hunt" <MPHCJ5@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Squirrels -- The most evil of all vermin!

> At the last Texas Nurseryman and Landscape Association meeting,
> someone sold a simple device to get rid of deer and squirrels. It's
> a motion detector that is hooked directly to a Water Sprinkler.
> Whenever it detects movement, it sprays water all around the area.
> This looks silly, but keeps the little freaks away.

Hello Joe,

This is a good point. I use the hose with nozzle setting on jet. Then I can
tag the squirrel as it retreats, they don't like this one bit. I started
using this on the loose cats that ventured over the fence on to my property
(irresonpsible pet owners) and it has cleared almost all the cats out of the
back property. The cats are a far worse problem for me than squirrels, yet
there are plenty of squirrels. But the pressure treatment can hit a squirrel
at some distance and it does work.
Now the real animal problem for me. Birds in the spring, They have started
building their nest and they love to use sphagnum and even small cp for nest
building. Blue Jays the worse they will pick everything out of the pot.
After the nest building is over, they are not much of a problem. At first I
thought they were picking the pots for insects in the substrate. This may be
true, but I have watched them gt moss fiber and bring up into there nest.
Take care,
~Mike
St. Petersburg Fl

Lots of native USA cp blooming. Sarracenia, Pings are past, and Dionaea now