Poisoning Squirrels

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@olywa.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 07:40:59 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:40:59 -0800
From: "Andrew Marshall" <andrewm@olywa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Poisoning Squirrels

Hi Susan,
    I write for the person, like myself once, who lives in a big city and
can not legally or safely use a pellet gun. In these cities there is little
'wildlife' to worry about except rats (who need killing anyway) possums and
racoons (also in dire need of a good stiff control program) and feral dogs.
Avian 'wildlife' consists of house sparrows, starlings and pigeons. All
three non-native and in the case of the first two in desperate need of some
sort of control. If they are willing to eat poisoned bait and drop dead...
good for them and all the native birds who will be able to nest now because
the sparrows and starlings are dead. They don't however so no worry there.
    Obviously, out where any kind of gun can be used, safely and legally
mind, then go ahead and blast away. I do! Much more satisfying and you
know you got him!
    You have to realise as I already know that while poisoning IS just that,
and *can* affect a whole host of other creatures if not used properly,
usually in reality it simply doesn't.
    I know, I have spent many many years waging war on squirrels, possums
and racoons on behalf of my plants, and many years studying wildlife in
professional as well as recreational capacities. I have tried everything,
even behaviour modification. The *only* way to not hurt anything and still
have plants is to cage off the plants which many people will not or can not
do. Therefore something else must be done, hence the questions and multiple
suggestions that are being discussed here lately. If done right, in the
right place, poisoning is a very effective method and should be used. With
all the 'ifs' in place though.
    Happy squirrel hunting folks
    Andrew