Re: Various - I'm too lazy to send separate e-mails

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 08:54:21 PST

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:54:21 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Various - I'm too lazy to send separate e-mails

Hi Nigel,

>Twirling monofilamentous algae from the tank containing my single
>remaining sickly strand of Aldrovandra, I wondered if the stuff could
>be recycled. After all, various veggie foods now contain algae and
>they claim it's good for you. If I dropped the slime into a Sarrie
>pitcher, would it derive any benefit?

        I'm pretty skeptic about those claims, having worked with algae for
the past 7 years or so. Especially this newish blue-green algae supplement
(most blue green algae contain toxins to prevent themselves from being
eaten. In the summer, when they bloom and then die at the surface, they
make a horrible stink. ). Anyways, the one algae that I do know has some
benefits (for fish at least) is Spirulina, a blue green algae that helps
bring out the colours in tropical fish. Some people use it for their hair.
I won't comment :-)! Of course, this relates to the micro-algae, not the
macro-algae (eg: common seaweed (a brown algae), which is used in sushi)

        The algae you're talking about is likely a green algae. I can't
imagine the Sarr pitcher getting any benefit from it. However, if you're
bound and determined to feed it, dry it first, either in the sun or by
baking it in the oven. Much easier to handle. Don't put the dry flakes in
any aquatic environment as the spores left over will germinate quite
quickly and you'll end up with the same problem.

>Does anyone know when the UK CPS AGM is going to be? I hope the first
>newsletter reaches us before it happens (deadline was 12 February and it
>takes about a month to publish so it should be imminent). I looked in
>my
>schizandra propagation chamber yesterday and found another dozen rooted
>plantlets, so the meeting will provide a chance to dump some.
>
>Good Growing, NigelH

        Hey! Dump some of those plants over here ;-)! It seems that other
than adelae, the other Queensland sundews are either not available for sale
(or at outrageous prices), or people are stingy with them (joking!).
Strange, considering prolifera and schizandra seem to be as easy to
propagate as adelae.

Happy growing,

Chris

--