re: Genlisea / Stange Drosera Growth

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 19:19:54 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:19:54 -0500
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Genlisea / Stange Drosera Growth

Christer,

> Subject: Strangely growing drosera
>
> Hi,
>
> I received some seeds from A. Lowrie almost a year ago. One of them was
> labelled D. cuneifolia, which I now suspect is natalensis (but that's
> another story).

Sadly, this seems to be the case with both seed from Lowrie and seed from
all the seed banks around the world. I think some of the mixup occurs cause
some people dont care much for Drosera enough to keep an eye on them / know
what the different species look like - very sad :(

I had good germination and today the three largest are 5
> cm (2 ") across and planted together in a 12 cm pot.

a lot better than my luck with lowries seed. my results were so lousy with
the batch my friend sent me that, had i paid for what i received, i would
have been extremely disappointed. since they were free, i wont complain -
ive at least got 1 seedling each of d fulva, broomensis and caduca from the
deal.

> Anyway, since a about a month back one plant has started to behave
> rather strange. It is an rosetted plant so newer leaves are visible in
> the centre of it. Usually the outer leaves should open up first, but in
> this plant some leaves in the middle started to develop and has divided
> the
> rosette. At this time there are three rosettes on this plants. These are
> obviously crowded thus are growing in 45 degree angle from the old
> rosette. Have anyone else seen this before?

ive got some d sp chimanimani (a form of natalensis) which were crowded and
exhibited strange behavior. probably not the same as what youre
experiencing but crowding can do funny things to drosera - usually at least
stunts their growth. strangely, the ones i transplanted to dead sphagnum
started growing fast and strong immediately while the ones i planted in sand
/ milled sphag are still just sitting there with little new growth.

> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:21:38 +1100
> From: "Paul Edwards" <edwards@net2000.com.au>
> To: "CP List" <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Genlisea

Paul and Chris,

> Hi Paul,
>
> I got my G.violacea from a friend, but apparently the seed wasn't
> too difficult to germinate. Some species may require application of
> giberellic acid. The G.violacea so far seems to be a perennial, although
> it went through a period where most of the leaves yellowed and the plant
> looked like it was dead. However, within about a month, all the plants
> came back.

Ive got all my violaceas in flower right now. theres a pic on my website if
anyone wants to see. i consider violacea one of the easiest cp to grow.

http://www.geocities.com/sundewmatt/index.html

> I've tried growing G.violacea the way that the G.hispidula plant
> was grown for the photo in the Savage Garden. The results were less than
> impressive. The traps only extended about 1cm into the water, so
obviously
> they're not as extensive as some species.
>
> G.hispidula is probably the easiest and most commonly grown
> species. It's fine to plant seed now if they're being kept in a
hot-house.

i find violacea a lot easier than hispidula (though i dont have much trouble
with this 1 either - it is slower though).
i have heard that some genlisea seed needs GA3 treatment. i got very
disappointing results with uncinata, filiformis and aurea without using it.

Matt