Seed Trade + S Flava

From: Leigh Perkins (leigh@perkins7.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 15:57:23 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:57:23 -0000
From: "Leigh Perkins" <leigh@perkins7.fsnet.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Seed Trade + S Flava

Hi All

Hope you can help! I'm on the look out for either some D Slackii or U
Sandersonii seeds, if you have some you'd like to trade or sell, mail me
direct - thanks!!

Also - sorry to pick out threads of old conversations, but something rang a
bell with me the other day, and that's like kicking one end of a dinosaur
and waiting for the other end to go "ouch"

Snip from David Mellard on 29th February

>About 4 years ago I sent out a bunch of Sarracenia seed and one of the
>locations was in Walton County. Did the seed come from me? If so, you
>might have a hybrid. I collected Sarracenia flava (cutthroat) and at the
>time may have mixed in some hybrid seed from a clump of hybrid Sarracenia
>plants that were nearby or misidentified the seed as S. flava.

I think that David and I did a trade a few years back and he was very kind
enough to send me some S Rugelli seeds (belated thanks again David!) In the
first 2 years of growth, the juvenile leaves that opened displayed a quite
distinctive red line in the throat area, giving every indication that these
were cutthroats, no great shakes there. But this year, with the first real
ascidiform leaves coming through, some differences have shown up. Firstly
the size - the first push throughs of the season are now up to the height of
a normal 4-5 year old Flava (though much more slender), certainly much
higher than any other 3 year old plant I've ever seen. Secondly, the shape
and colour - definately ridged halfway up the pitcher with a defined curve
to the lid prior to opening, and the presence of a faint blue tint in the
lower quarter of it's height. Also, the red line present in the previous
years now seems absent, or dormant??!!

Snip

>I suspect that it's a hybrid with purpurea and then a backcross
>a time or two with flava again to make the pitchers more upright and to
make
>the hood more overhanging. The flowers are a mixture of yellow and red.

David - if these are the seeds you were referring to (and assuming I am
correct in saying that you sent these to me - I've slept since then and I
could be wrong :)), then I would say it's also possible that one of those
backcrosses you refer to could well have been a cutthroat judging on
attributes so far. I'll be really interested to see how the flowers turn
out eventually, but I would hazard that a purpurea cross is certainly
possible - that would account for the slight decumbence in the pitchers.

Sorry to ramble, thanks for listening

Leigh Perkins