Re: Feeding terrestrial Utricularias?

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 14:44:39 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:44:39 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Feeding terrestrial Utricularias?

Hi Christer,

>Hi,
>
>I'd be interested to learn about different ways to feed terrestrial
>Utrics. I've read about flooding the pot and introducing daphnia. Has
>anyone tried to feed infusoria or are they too small. What about
>fertilizers; foliar feed or into the soil? Both success stories and info
>about things to avoid, would be appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>Christer Berglund
>E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se

        Most of my terrestrial Utrics grow quickly enough that I don't
bother with trying to culture infusoria, microworms, etc. for them. I have
enough a fungus gnat population that I think the larvae are adequately
feeding the Utrics.

        I do flood my terrestrial Utrics, especially some of the shy
flowerers, every few months, as it seems to encourage flooding once the
water level drops. Never noticed any ill effects from doing this.

Good luck!

Chris

--
http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb ("Coastal Carnivores", my homepage)