Re: Laterite

From: Kevin Snively (ksnive@ricochet.net)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 16:02:44 PST

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:02:44 -0800
From: Kevin Snively <ksnive@ricochet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Laterite

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> Hello,
> There is a product out there called Duplarit. It is a laterite based
> additive for aquatic plants produced from a company in Germany. Has
> anyone used this product in a mix for Nepenthes? Finding there webpage
> they seem to not have a distributor here in the US. Is there any Dupla
> already here in the US?
> I have had excellent results with some other laterite products in growing
> N. merrilliana and N. rajah's in there soil mix. A peatless mix that
> does not break down over time and is reusuable when sterilized.
> This product by Dulpa seemed to offer results simular to what N.
> merrilliana plants were growing in out in the wild.
> The info on Duplarit was found at www.dupla.com/.
> Truly,
> Tom Kahl/Nepenthes Club

Much of the soil in SW Washington is Laterite. My guess is that if
you went to the local Agg. extention office they should be able to set
you up with maps that would lead you to some large deposits. I don't
remember just where I was reading about this might have been the road
side geology of Washington.

I'd heard you had got out of CP a while back. Nice to see the rumor
was not true.

krs.