Re: birds (was: Re: slugs)

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 07:12:48 PST

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:12:48 -0500
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: birds (was: Re: slugs)

> The main problem I've always had with birds is stealing sphagnum
>moss for their nests. Must be easy to build with, as they seem to come
>from miles around.

Oh man, don't even mention this to me. I keep my CPs under a wire mesh
during the winter to keep birds & squirrels from digging in the pots. I took
my plants out of their dormancy under wire the last weekend and put them
out in the front yard where they get the most sun. It took a bird 2 days to
find my big pit with Sarracenia and my lone Drosera in it. Birdy went
a-digging and the Drosera disappeared even though I sepnt about 30 minutes
combing through the shredded peat and sphagnum left behind. Next day I found
that the bird has built a nest in the pot just like it did last year.
Sheesh. I don't mind sharing my pot with birds but I wish they'd be neater
neighbors.

Philip
URL du jour: http://www.drbronner.com/main.html