Mealies and scale

From: steve steve (stevesteve@rocketmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:46:31 PST

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:46:31 -0800 (PST)
From: steve steve <stevesteve@rocketmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mealies and scale

Dear All,

I had acouple of S. purpurea which I rescued from a
garden centre last year and... horrors... the scale
bugs soon developed. The infestation was BAD.

I dug them out of the pots and binned all the compost.
Washed the roots carefully and then removed all the
infested pitchers and yes, that meant ALL the
pitchers. I ended up repotting roots with a tiny
growing tip. Despite the frosts they have developed
over the autumn/winter into fine plants. Lovely fat
pitcher and no scale.

If the infestation is so bad that you are thinking of
binning the plant, you could try removing all leaves
and letting the plant regenerate itself.

Steve