RE: S. flava "Maxima"

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 06:02:59 PST

Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:02:59 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: S. flava "Maxima"

>In "The Savage Garden", Peter says something about Slack's "incorrectly
>named" cultivar S. flava "Maxima" with blue/gray coloring in the lower
>pitchers. What is the correct name? Is it really just a cultivar or
>just a characteristic of a locality? I ask because I have a S. flava
>grown from seed that originated from Walton County, Florida, and it
>shows this same blue/gray coloring in the lower pitchers. The pitchers
>are very stocky and shorter than my other flavas, but the rhizome is
>much larger. It's still a young plant though (maybe 4 years old), so
>it's hard to tell how tall it will eventually get.

Hi John,

About 4 years ago I sent out a bunch of Sarracenia seed and one of the
locations was in Walton County. Did the seed come from me? If so, you
might have a hybrid. I collected Sarracenia flava (cutthroat) and at the
time may have mixed in some hybrid seed from a clump of hybrid Sarracenia
plants that were nearby or misidentified the seed as S. flava.

The hybrid plants had several characteristics that were different from
Sarracenia flava in that location but obviously (to me now) had S. flava as
a parent. The hybrid pitchers have much more of a curve to them and a
distinct ridge going up the pitcher (I forget the botanical name for this.)
The pitcher color is more of a bronze, though, than what you describe as
blue/gray. I suspect that it's a hybrid with purpurea and then a backcross
a time or two with flava again to make the pitchers more upright and to make
the hood more overhanging. The flowers are a mixture of yellow and red.

David
Atlanta