More on S. rosea

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 11:28:10 PST

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:28:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More on S. rosea

Hi Aaron and Dave,

You all have interesting points on S. rosea. Still, I think the best
approach would be
S. purpurea subsp. purpurea
S. purpurea subsp. venosa
S. purpurea subsp. rosea

(of course, the last name has not been established, so is just a fiction
for the purposes of this email).

I do not deny that S. rosea has consistent differences. Aaron adds
interesting data to strengthen this claim. But to elevate it to a separate
species status is, considering the disparity in form between other
Sarracenia species, unjustified. I do not think that all three proposed
subspecies have to be equally closely related. I am content with noting
Aaron's data, and having it be known that S. purpurea venosa and S.
purpurea purpurea are closer in character than they are to S. purpurea
rosea.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter